Home     Our History     City Government     Council Information          
Municipal Utilities
     Ordinances/Policies     Housing/Lots     Directories     Links

About Us

Population - 606 residents (2010) Census

Established in 1881

Land Area 0.86 sq. miles

 

Portland History

The plat of the original township of Portland was filed in the office of the register of deeds of Traill County on the 22nd of November, 1881 by W.C. Morrison, Ole T Jahr, Alvin Amb and Sven O. Nordskog, proprietors and soon after the track of the St. Paul, Minneapolis and Manitoba, (now the Great Northern) R.R. was laid into the town in December 1881.

Portland was platted in November 1881 in by George W. Parke, Division Engineer for St Paul, Minneapolis and Manitoba Railway, whose name is on the main east-west street of Portland.  Sven O. Nordskog furnished 69 acres and Alvin Arnold furnished 60 acres of land for the original township.  In 1882, O.T. Jahr supplied 20 acres for an addition.  George Turner and John Amb did the surveying with Edgar Arnold assisting.

All surveying was completed by February 6, 1882 and the certified plats placed on file in the county seat.

The City of Portland was incorporated in the spring of 1885.

Firsts for Portland: